Sunday, January 20, 2013

Media Profiles Assignment


Hello! & welcome back to Rush Delivery.  For this week’s assignment we were to read a few articles concerning television critics & their respective styles/tastes & jot down some thoughts about what we read. 

            The 1st article assigned centered on a television show critic named Alan Sepinwall.  I could immediately tell I would enjoy Alan’s style of writing upon reading his self-criticism of some of his early work & how it caused him to label himself a “dumbass”…even if it was just at times.  Alan had a few shows he paid particular attention to but his personal diamond in the rough was NYPD Blue, which he eventually became the leading fan-boy of.  I can’t say I’m a huge fan as majority of police procedural shows bore me to exhaustion (minus Dexter maybe, but since its primary focus is on a serial-killer I’m not sure how well it fits into that category). 

            One of the more interesting aspects of the article to me was the explanation of how difficult it is to be a critic for certain types of shows.  They even compare Alan’s favorite NYPD Blue to modern dramas such as Mad Men & Boardwalk Empire (2 big favorites of mine) and say that even a popular classic such as the Blue can’t withstand against the likes of modern dramas with the many twists, turns, and hailstorms of activity they contain (Breaking Bad comes to mind for me..). 

            The second article was actually a blog post concerning the 1st article making things fit very well together.  In the blog I couldn’t help but agree with Levin’s (the blog-author) statement that Sepinwall is an amazing critic because he gets so intensely-in-depth with the shows he critiques.  Levin cited Sepinwell’s Chuck campaign to save the show when it was failing as well as his appearance on NBC’s Community for the same purpose.  I am not personally a fan of either show but love the dedication Sepinwall shows for the programs he loves.  It reminds me of the “Bluth’s bananas bit die-hard Arrested Development fans pulled when the show wasn’t bringing in the numbers.  Fans sent actual crates of bananas to FOX studios in petition of cancelling the show and saved, if only for another season (although it’s coming back as an exclusive series on Netflix, so yay!!).

            The final steps for our assignment (which I found quite intriguing) was to choose 2 hyperlinks found in either article & explain why we chose them & what they showed us.  My first choice comes from the original article concerning how Sepinwall is able to write-up on 15 shows per week.  The actual hyperlink stated “advanced screeners.”  I really clicked on it because I was curious about how Sepinwall acquires his advanced screenings.  I couldn’t see a respected critic as a media pirate but I wanted to see.  The link led me to Sepinwall’s Twitter account (a social media form I could care less about) and merely stated that he had seen the week’s new episodes of Community, Parks & Rec, & The office in advance and would post those reviews that night.  So my prying did not really answer my question as to where he gets his copies but I could only assume that the network is providing them as they know Sepinwall is a fan of those series in particular.

            The second link I chose because it was an interesting label/term that I wished to know more about and it came from the blog.  The actual link states “pop-culture scholar” and intrigued me because I wasn’t sure exactly what that meant, I mean anyone who obsesses and consumes a large quantity of pop-culture could be considered a scholar in that topic.  The link led me to the background bio on a television blog by a one Mr. Miles McNutt entitled Cultural Learnings.  The blog’s goal, as stated in the bio, is not to simply recap the show but to place it within the context of the series, the season, its genre, and on occasion broad literary and cultural philosophies.  I found that an excellent description until I read a few posts and could only categorize them as strange and twisted rants about the show mixed with ludicrous guesses on where it may turn next.  I did find many of the posts quite comical but in general it was not for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment